Listed here are some places that you might like to visit when you are in Corfu. They do not include the Museums, which are in an earlier post.
With its series of arches forming the western boundary of the Esplanade and designed by Mathieu de Lesseps in 1807, the Liston looks similar to the Rue de Rivoli in Paris. The name Liston comes from the Venetian practice of having a list of noble families in the Libro d’Oro or Golden Book and only those on this list were allowed to promenade here. It is Corfu’s traditional meeting place where people come to read and drink coffee or ouzo at the cafes or watch band or majorette parades as well as religious processions.
Standing proudly on the hill of St. Mark, this fortress with its twin bastions offers a glorious view of Corfu Town and the Ionian Sea. Originally built between 1572 and 1645, it has recently been restored and is often used exhibitions, concerts and many other cultural activities. There is a bar/café within the fortress and a gallery offering various publications.
This mixture of town square and park between the Liston and the Old Fortress offers relief from the packed streets in summer. Near the fountain is the marble Enosis Monument (the word ’enosis’ means ‘unification’), which commemorates the 1864 union of the Ionian islands with the rest of Greece, with intricate carvings representing each of the Ionian Islands. A statue of Ioannis Capodistrias, modern Greece’s first president in 1827, and a native of Corfu, stands at the end of the street that flanks the Esplanade and bears his name. Facing this is the Maitland Rotunda (1816), a memorial to Sir Thomas Maitland who became Britain’s first Lord High Commissioner to Corfu after the island became a British Protectorate in 1814. A bandstand, which is the focus for the Celebration of the Resurrection on Easter Saturday at midnight, offers musical performances throughout the year.
Set at a height of 915 metres above sea level with a 17th century church on its peak. The word Pantokrator means ‘Ruler of Everything’ or ‘Christ, Lord of All’. Farming used to take place on the slopes and you can see the threshing-floors (alonia), the dry stone boundary walls, the stone water cisterns and the isolated buildings from these times scattered over the slopes. The area is now a paradise for walkers and is ideal for jeep safaris with wonderful views and lots of wild flowers. During August, the biggest festival on the island takes place here.
SAINT SPYRIDON CHURCH
St. Spyridon is the patron saint of the island of Corfu and one of the great Saints of Greek Orthodoxy. Thousands of visitors from all over Greece come on pilgrimage every year to this church, which is the most famous on the island.
Built in 1589, it has the island’s tallest campanile, which is similar to that of the San Giorgio del Greci in Venice.
This old Byzantine fortress is situated on a cliff top on the northwest shore of Corfu, near to the small town of Krini. The fortress was originally built as an outpost in the 13th century and later, during Venetian rule, it became the Governor’s seat before falling into partial ruin. Remains include a chapel, a shrine and a hermit cell and the grounds offer marvellous views.
PALACE OF ST. MICHAEL AND ST. GEORGE
IASON AND SOSIPATROS CHURCH